skip to content


Thank you for your interest in a work placement, clinical observation visit (clinical internship), research visit or advanced training (doctoral thesis or specialist training) at Cologne University Hospital.

Please make an initial application by sending your CV and a letter of application directly to the relevant department or working group. Please keep in mind that for some departments/clinics a German language certificate (at least B2) might be very helpful or even necessary. In case the management of the clinic or a research group is interested in your application, they might contact you directly or via our HR to hand in additional documents for employment. Once all the documents have been received the applicant is sent an official invitation. With the aid of this letter of invitation, applicants from countries whose residents need a visa can obtain a residence title for this specific purpose from the German embassy in their home country.

Applicants must always be careful to apply for a working visa (Arbeitsvisum) and NOT just a tourist visa (Touristenvisum) because this cannot be converted after arrival in Germany.

The work permit (Arbeitserlaubnis) can be obtained after arrival in Germany with a limited residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) by applying to Cologne’s foreigners department (Ausländerbehörde).
The necessary temporary permit to practice medicine (Berufserlaubnis) as specified by German law (§10 Bundesärzteordnung) can be obtained by application to the local administrative authority (Bezirksregierung) in Münster.

Please note that you need the "Deutsche Approbation" (license to practice medicine in Germany) in order to do specialist training (Facharztausbildung). Click here for more information.

In case you want to do a doctoral thesis at the Faculty of Medicine then please inform yourself here about our programs and how to apply.