skip to content

Registration with the Residents Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt)

If you are to stay in Cologne longer than three months, you must register with the Einwohnermeldeamt (residents registration office) at the town hall of your local authority within a week of your arrival.

At the same time, students from NON-EU countries (with or without a visa) must apply for their residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) with the Foreign Nationals Department (Ausländerbehörde).

For your registration in Cologne you will need:

  • Passport
  • Name and address of the apartment owner or the rental agreement

Students who have found a room in Huerth / Efferen  must also register in Huerth and not in Cologne. You can find information on registration in Huerth / Efferen here.