skip to content

Registration with a health fund (Krankenkasse)

All students in Germany must have health care cover. It is not possible to matriculate for a study visit unless you provide evidence of this.

Students from EU / EEA countries or Switzerland
Germany has social security agreements with these countries. To matriculate, you need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by the health care service in your home country. When you present this to a German public health fund you can obtain the certification letter (Befreiungsnachweis für die deutsche Krankenversicherung  – letter confirming exemption from German health insurance cover) required for matriculation. This health fund then looks after you during your stay in Germany.
If you have private health insurance you need written confirmation from your insurance company that you possess insurance cover throughout the relevant study period.

Travel health insurance is not recognised.

Students from non-EU countries
You need proof of health insurance from a German public health insurer in order to enrol at university. If you have a health insurance coverage from your home country please consult a German statutory health insurer whether the coverage is sufficient for enrolment at university (e.g. AOK or TK on campus). If not, you have to obtain a German statutory health insurance for your enrolment. The costs für the student rate depends on the insurance company and will be around 80 € per month. You are free to choose any of the public health funds, but you can also choose a private health insurance. For example:

Mawista Versicherung
HanseMerkur Versicherung

Please have a look here for very detailed overview on the German health system.